Friday 16 March 2012

Bravo, bravo

On Tuesday evening, I went to see Bravo at the State Theatre. It's a showcase of highlights of Opera Africa's most memorable productions over the last 18 years. The first half included a one-act opera called Ziyankomo and the Forbidden Fruit by composer Phelelani Mnomiya. The second half was s collection of opera favourites like Faust, Carmen, La Bohème, Princess Magogo and La Traviata.
Although not everyone's cup of tea, I think there's something so magical about opera. It's so passionate, so alive. The singers that really stuck out for me were Fikile Mvinjelwa, Kelebogile Boikanyo and Given Nkosi. They were spectacular. Bravo will run till tomorrow in Pretoria but if you are keen to see it, it will be running at the Joburg Theatre on 23, 25,29 and 31 March. Tickets are really reasonably priced. I highly recommend getting your ass to one of these shows pronto.

I snapped these pictures on my phone before the plays started. Pretoria's CBD has some of the most beautiful buildings.  They remind me a tad of walking the streets of Rome in the evening. 



No comments:

Post a Comment