Sunday 26 August 2012

Sun. Wine. Music.

Ah, what a weekend for live music in P-Town. My ears are still ringing and my whiplash hasn't gone away but I carry my war wounds proudly. 

On Friday night I covered Goodnight Wembley's debut at Arcade Empire for Perdeby (the article will be in next week's paper). They were magnificent, despite a few teething problems like George van der Spuy's vocals being a bit too soft at times. Their sound is this really raw rock 'n' roll, quite unlike anything we have in the South African music scene at the moment. Shadowclub, one of my favourite local live acts, played before them and were equally as remarkable. The band played a bit of their new material which had a tinge of Radiohead to it. It gave me goosebumps. I'm really looking forward to the release of their second album, hopefully the wait won't be too long. My Epic Vice opened the show but were mostly unremarkable.

Then, today, I went to Park Acoustics at the Voortrekker Monument. Lazing in the sun, drinking cheap wine out of sippy cups and listening to live music is probably the best thing way to bid farewell to the weekend. Dan Patlansky, Holiday Murray, Andrew James and Manny Walters and The Width entertained our ears and boy, did they do a good job. My ears say thanks, and so do I.

I'm going to stop writing now. This is turning into one of those live reviews and for the most part, I hate live reviews. Probably because I associate them with poor quality online music magazines. Ha.

But anyway, hope you all had a good one too. 

Here's some photos from Park Acoustics.

 
Four Cousins out of a sippy cup. These are the days of our (student) lives.
Andrew James is incredible with his acoustic guitar and lap slide. Reminded me of Xavier Rudd.
Holiday Murray. I've been a big, big fan of theirs for quite a while now but only got the chance to see them live for the first time today. Their performance was as good as their recorded material and it made happy.
Dan Patlansky. Are there really any words to describe how talented this man is? No. Watching him play, it looks like he is trying to wrestle a demon out of his guitar. He wins. Every time.
The view from Fort Schanskop.
The Voortrekker Monument as the sun went down. Good weekend, good.

No comments:

Post a Comment