Friday 16 September 2011

-Mamelodi-

For those of you who don't know, I'm studying journalism. As part of an assignment last semester, we we went to Mamelodi once a week for roughly a month and wrote articles about things happening in the community.The second part of the assignment was an introduction to photography. We are now in the process of producing a newspaper for the Mamelodi community which we hope to distribute sometime in October. I spent my time at a primary school called Meetse a Bophelo. It was previously a very dilapidated school but after a recent renovation by steel giant, ArcelorMittal South Africa, the infrastructure has been transformed into something quite awe-inspiring. I worked mainly with the Grade Rs and the focus of my article was Early Childhood Development and how the South African government spends a pittance on this sector of education (perhaps one day I will post my article as well, who knows). I really loved working with the kids. They taught me a lot about myself and about a world that exists literally down the road from me but that I had no clue about. I also got the chance to practice my Zulu with them which was pretty rad. They were only too obliging when it came to me taking photos of them. So, here are some of the pictures I took of the special little individuals that I had the privilege of meeting.Enjoy!








No comments:

Post a Comment